Thursday, July 26, 2012

Our Vintage Wedding Invitation... that looks so current!


1981 screen printed invitations!

cocktail napkins and the wedding program too!

this is the front of the invitation

I still love the handmade paper that was used as the 'tissue'

This is a poem from a card that my husband gave to me. We had it included in the program.
Over 30 years ago I laid eyes on the creative works of two women that were acquaintances of my mom and I was completely inspired. I remember wanting to do what Mrs. Pace and Mrs.Campbell did. They combined their talents of graphic design, calligraphy and screen printing and made calendars and invitations and other paper goods that were truly works of art. 

Yesterday my husband and I celebrated our 31st wedding anniversary. As I gaze upon my little box of memories of that long ago day I am more in awe of how fabulous our invitations, made by Mrs. Pace and Mrs. Campbell, were then and still are today. They were ahead of their time! As a young twenty-something I remember being a bit nervous because they weren't engraved, which of course was the proper thing. What would people say? But I knew I loved them.
People often ask me, "When looking back at your own wedding, what would you do differently?" And my answer always is "I'd marry the same man and have the same invitations but I'd change everything else."

No comments:

Post a Comment